About the Department
The mission of the risk management department is to protect the people, programs, and properties of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Southeastern California Conference by creating and promoting quality risk management practices which promote safety and accident prevention. This is done by managing the protection of the churches’ and schools’ assets, both human and financial, by minimizing legal liabilities and complying with environmental and safety regulations.
Timothy A. Rawson
Highlights of Objectives Achieved 2008-2011
1. Implemented background screening for all volunteers for our schools within the conference.
- The screening included a national criminal database and sex offender search, and if they were driving on behalf of our schools, a Department of Motor Vehicle check was completed to make sure that we were compliant with North American Division Working Policy.
- We have now implement background screening for volunteers who have direct contact with children at our churches. These include Pathfinder and Adventurer leaders. We are currently implementing screening with most of the Children Sabbath school teachers.
2. We continue to implement a comprehensive loss control program for the churches and schools within the conference.
3. We continue to promote quality risk management practices to assist in the prevention of human, physical and financial losses which result from our organizations, activities that will assist in achieving a successful risk management program.
- We meet twice a year at the church treasurer workshop and as of recent with new pastors through the workers’ orientation process.
4. Safety officers were nominated by the local churches and schools and serve on the church and school boards to review all issues dealing with safety and insurance.
- Currently we have 134 safety officers in 143 churches within the conference.
5. The churches and schools have appointed a safety committee to review all activities and accidents that occur on the church and school properties. They also report their recommendations to the local board for review and make the appropriate corrections when needed.
6. By reducing losses over the past four years, the institutions of the conference have experienced minimal increases to insurance premiums.
Prospective Achievements That Will Be Fulfilled 2011-2013
1. In conjunction with Adventist Risk Management, we plan on providing more on-line assistance in providing forms, risk control resources for disaster preparedness, risk control plans, videos, and other items.